By Harrison LaLone, Sports Information student assistant
Winter Haven, Fla. - The Alma College baseball team continued its slate of Florida games on Tuesday (Feb. 27) with a matchup against Augustana College (IL), falling by a 4-2 margin for its first loss of the year.
Sophomore Vann Acker (Eaton Rapids, Mich./Eaton Rapids) was responsible for both of Alma's runs, hitting a two-run home run in the top of the eighth.
- Senior Eric Frontzak (Naperville, Ill./Montini Catholic) started on the mound for the Scots. He exited the game with one earned run and three strikeouts amidst a three-run fourth inning by Augustana. Frontzak's one earned run came in the first frame.
- Alma ended the game with four hits, including two by Acker. Sophomore Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich./Standish-Sterling Central) had a single to center field in the first and sophomore Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich./Johannesburg-Lewiston) legged out a single to third in the fourth.
- Alma's relief pitching kept the game within reach. Sophomore Dylan Dzendzel (Roayl Oak, Mich./Royal Oak) came in to relieve Frontzak in the fourth, went three full innings, allowing only two hits and fanning two batters. Junior Jordan Masters (Waterford, Mich./Kettering) relieved Dzendzel in the seventh, allowing one hit in his four outs.
- Acker broke the shutout with his home run in the top of the eighth. After sophomore Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich./Mt. Pleasant/Davenport University) reached on an error in right field, Acker came to the plate to hammer a fly ball over the 380-foot mark on the wall in left-center.
- Vann Acker has now hit home runs in back-to-back games, and leads the Scots with six RBIs.
- Max Trucks maintained his lead in on-base percentage, which still sits at .643.
- Senior Austin Roeske (Warren, Mich./De La Salle Collegiate) was the only Scot, aside from Acker, to reach base safely more than once. Both times Roeske made it to first on walks.
- The Winter Haven site that Alma and Augustana played at for the RussMatt Invitational is the former spring training facility of the Cleveland Indians. The site was also used for select scenes in the 1989 film "Major League."
Alma will take a day off before returning to action against Capital University (OH) on Thursday, March 1, at 1:30 p.m. The Scots will return to the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale for their remaining games in Florida.