Alma, Mich. - The Alma College baseball team battled wind-chills in the 20s and high winds while recording a sweep of visiting Finlandia University on Tuesday (March 20) as the Scots held their home opener at Klenk Park.
Alma (7-5 overall) broke a 1-1 tie in Game 1 to capture the victory, scoring in the bottom half of the fourth and fifth innings en route to a 3-1 win, while in the finale, the Scots overcame a 3-0 hole, scoring eight straight to win by an 8-3 margin.
Sophomore Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich./Johannesburg-Lewiston) led Alma with three hits over the two games.
Game 1 - at Alma 3, Finlandia 1
- Josh Riggs gave Alma a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first with an RBI single to score Matt Minaudo and looked poised to add to its total in the second before Austin Roeske was thrown out at home.
- After Finlandia tied the game in the top of the third on an RBI single, the Scots loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom half of the inning, but couldn't get a runner home.
- Alma regained the lead in the bottom of the fourth with the bases loaded and two outs after Roeske scored on a wild pitch. The Scots added to their lead in the bottom of the fifth when Logan Huff scored to give Alma a 3-1 lead.
- Eric Frontzak threw five innings as the starter, striking out four batters, to pick up his second win of the season, while Carson Kempa picked up the save after two innings of relief and striking out all six batters he faced.
Game 2 - at Alma 8, Finlandia 3
- The Lions scored three times in the first inning as starting pitcher Bailey O'Keefe got in a jam early, as the Scots allowed runners on a bases-loaded walk, a bases-loaded balk, and a passed ball.
- O'Keefe was relieved by Cameron Schneider with two outs in the first and picked up his first career win, throwing for another four innings.
- Alma began its eight-run surge in the bottom of the second when Matt Minaudo hit a RBI single to score Logan Huff before scoring five runs in the bottom of the fifth to pull ahead.
- Minaudo made the score 3-2 when he scored on a wild pitch, while Max Trucks tied the game on the same play when he was able to score on an error. Josh Riggs gave the Scots the lead with a 2-RBI triple to left center, scoring Vann Acker and Anstandig, while Logan Huff sent a RBI single through the left side on the next at bat, scoring Josh Riggs.
- The Scots added two more runs in the bottom of the sixth to pull away when Pete Caravallah scored on a RBI single from Anstandig, followed by a sacrifice fly by Acker to score Austin Roeske.
- Adam Martinson relieved Schneider in the top of the sixth inning before Alex Archambeault came in with two outs in the top of the seventh to close the door on the Lions.
The Scots are scheduled to open Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play on Saturday, March 24, at Adrian College. The two teams will close out the series at Klenk Park on Sunday, March 25, with the doubleheaders scheduled for a 1 p.m. start on both days.