Adrian, Mich. - The Alma College baseball team opened Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play on Friday (March 23), taking on defending champion Adrian College in a two-game set at Nicolay Field.
Adrian (7-3 overall, 2-0 MIAA) swept the doubleheader, winning Game 1 in the bottom of the ninth inning before taking an early 5-0 lead and holding on for the win in Game 2.
Alma (7-7, 0-2 MIAA) will look to even the series on Sunday when the teams resume action at Klenk Park at Alma College. Last season, the Scots swept the Bulldogs at home.
Game 1 - at Adrian 3, Alma 2 (9 innings)
- The Bulldogs scored in the bottom of the ninth inning to capture the win when Hunter Hayes hit a bases-loaded single to snap the 2-2 tie.
- Alma took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning when freshman Alex Dwan hit an RBI double to right center field, scoring sophomore Logan Huff, who reached third base on a dropped fly ball.
- The Bulldogs tied the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the third when Chad Paddock hit a single to the pitcher, scoring Jordan Torrento from third base. Adrian then took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the sixth inning when Hayes scored on an error.
- The Scots forced extra innings with the tying run in the top of the seventh. Matt Minaudo reached first with a one-out single, then was sent home after Pete Caravallah's hit was dropped in the outfield by the shortstop.
- Josh Riggs threw six innings and struck out five batters as the starter, and was relieved by Jordan Masters in the seventh inning. Masters, who took the loss, pitched 2.1 innings and tallied two strikeouts.
- Max Trucks went 2-for-4 in the game, hitting two doubles, while Alex Dwan also tallied two hits.
- For Adrian, Tommy Parsons went the distance, fanning 12 batters.
Game 2 - at Adrian 6, Alma 4
- Adrian jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning after the first two batters reached second and third base on extra-base hits, then scored on the next four at-bats before Joseph Barrons got the Scots out of the inning with a strikeout and forcing a fly ball.
- The Scots battled back in the top of the fourth, scoring four times to pull within one run at 5-4. With runners on first and third, Matt Minaudo, Jordan Anstandig, Austin Roeske and Pete Carravallay hit RBI singles in consecutive at bats. Pierce Banks got out of the jam for Adrian with two strikeouts to end the inning.
- Adrian added to its lead in the bottom of the fifth when H. Hayes scored on a wild pitch. The Scots put runners on first and second with one out in the top of the seventh, but could not get anyone to home plate.
- Barrons went 4.2 innings and struck out five, while Carson Kempa came in to pitch 1.1 innings of relief, recording one strikeout.
- Carravallah and Huff led Alma with two hits each as the Scots got eight hits off Pierce Banks, who threw a complete game with eight strikeouts for Adrian.
The Scots will conclude the series with Adrian College on Sunday, March 25, with a 1 p.m. doubleheader at Klenk Park.