Alma, Mich. - The Alma College baseball team salvaged a split in its home doubleheader on Sunday (March 25) at Klenk Park as the Scots closed out a four-game series with defending MIAA champion Adrian College.
The Bulldogs surrendered a five-run lead in the sixth and seventh innings, but held on to score six in the top of the ninth to take Game 1 by an 11-6 margin. Alma turned on the bats in Game 2, tallying 17 runs on 15 hits to hammer the Bulldogs, 17-1, in the series finale.
Alma (8-8 overall, 1-3 MIAA) will face Albion College in a four-game series beginning on Friday, March 30.
Game 1 - Adrian 11, at Alma 6
- Alma left 13 runners on base as the Scots erased a five-run deficit, but fell short in an extra-innings loss.
- Adrian opened the game with a 5-0 lead in the fifth inning before the Scots mounted their comeback, scoring twice in the bottom of the sixth and three times in the bottom of the seventh.
- Austin Roeske got things going in the sixth with an RBI double to score Jaret Koin, who reached base after a dropped third strike. Two at-bats later, Jordan Anstandig hit an RBI single to center field, scoring Matt Minaudo.
- Down three runs heading into the final inning, Ben Finzel got the Scots going with a single, followed by a hit by Logan Huff. The Scots loaded the bases after Koin was hit by a pitch and Minaudo took care of business, hitting a two-RBI single to pull Alma within one run. Roeske walked at the next at bat to load the bases again before Alex Dwan pinch hit and tallied an RBI on a fielder's choice single to score Koin and tie the game.
- Max Trucks walked to load the bases again with one out, but Alma could not get the go-ahead run across the plate, sending the game into extra innings.
- Adrian put six runs on the board in the top of the ninth to seal the victory, while Alma added a run in the final inning.
- Logan Huff finished the game with three hits, while Matt Minaudo led Alma with two RBIs.
- Dylan Dzendzel threw five innings in a starting role, striking out six batters, and was relieved by Ben Blake in the top of the sixth. Cameron Schneider took the loss after relieving Blake to start the eighth inning.
Game 2 - at Alma 17, Adrian 1
- Alma jumped on the Bulldogs early, scoring twice in the first inning before adding five runs in the second to take a 7-0 lead.
- Adrian scored in the top of the fourth to make the score 7-1, but the Scots added two more in the bottom of the fourth before dropping eight runs on the Bulldogs in the bottom of the fifth to to ahead 17-1.
- Matt Minaudo finished the game with three hits and two RBIs, while Ben Finzel also put up three hits. Vann Acker, Max Trucks and Pete Carravallay each talked two hits while Logan Huff led the team with four RBIs.
- Eric Frontzak picked up the win, pitching five innings and allowing four hits, while Adam Martinson came in to relieve him to start the sixth inning.
Alma will open a four-game series with Albion College on Friday, March 30, traveling to Albion for a 2 p.m. doubeheader. The series shifts to Klenk Park on Saturday, March 31, with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.