Alma, Mich. - The Alma College baseball team swept Albion College on Friday (March 30) afternoon in a home doubleheader as the Scots and Britons opened a four-game series.
Alma earned a 5-2 victory in game after scoring three times in the bottom of the fifth before shelling Albion in Game 2, defeating the Brits by a 20-3 margin after going up, 10-0, after two innings.
Sophomore Vann Acker (Eaton Rapids, Mich./Eaton Rapids) went 6-for-7 at the plate with three doubles and two RBIs to lead Alma (10-8 overall, 3-3 MIAA), which has now won three straight. Sophomore Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich./Johannesburg-Lewiston) collected five hits, including three doubles and a home run, while tallying four RBIs in the two games.
The two teams will take the Easter weekend off due to the holiday and forecasted weather before resuming the series on Monday, April 2, at Albion's Champion Stadium.
Game 1 - at Alma 5, Albion 2
- Albion took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning before the Scots tied the game in the bottom half on a home run by Jordan Anstandig.
- Alma took the lead in the bottom of the third inning when Logan Huff connected on a RBI single to score Vann Acker.
- Albion tied the game in the top of the fifth on a home run by Jack Wyman, but the Scots responded with three runs in the bottom half of the frame. Huff hit a RBI double to score Max Trucks, while Matt Minaudo hit two runs home with a 2-RBI single.
- Joseph Barrons threw all seven innings to pick up his second win.
- Acker, Huff, and Minaudo each recorded two hits, while Huff and Minaudo had two RBIs apiece. Acker went 4-for-5 to lead the team in hits, while Alex Dwan tallied a team-high three RBIs.
Game 2 - at Alma 20, Albion 3
- Alma shelled the Britons for 10 runs in the first two innings to take a 10-0 lead and never looked back, sealing the game with a six-run eighth inning.
- Vann Acker, Logan Huff, Matt Minaudo and Ben Einzel each collected two doubles each, while Max Truck hit a home run and a triple. Huff also added a home run as Alma posted a season-high 24 hits.
- Eric Frontzak picked up his fourth win of the season after striking out six batters over six innings.
The Scots close out the series against Albion with a doubleheader on Monday, April 2. First pitch scheduled for 2 p.m. at Champions Stadium on the campus of Albion College.