Albion, Mich. - The Alma College baseball team captured its first league series of the season on Monday (April 2) afternoon, splitting a doubleheader with Albion College at the Britons' Champions Stadium.
Alma (11-9 overall, 4-4 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) captured Game 1, 7-0, to clinch the series, while the Britons responded with a 13-5 triumph in the series finale.
The Scots will host Trine University on Saturday, April 7, to open a four-game series with the Thunder. The two schools will travel to Angola, Ind., on Sunday, April 8, to conclude the series.
Game 1 - Alma 7, at Albion 0
- Dylan Dzendzel tossed a complete game shutout, striking out a career-high 14 batters and allowing only five hits as the Scots won their fourth straight.
- Five players recorded two hits, while Ben Finzel tallied a pair of doubles. Logan Huff posted a triple with two RBIs, while Matt Minaudo also has a pair of RBIs.
- Alma got on the board in the top of the third when Jordan Anstandig hit an RBI single to score Pete Carravallah.
- The Scots added four runs in the top of the fifth to open up the game. Max Trucks scored on an error after Vann Acker singled to send Trucks to third base, while Huff scored two players with a two-RBI triple. Minaudo made the score 5-0 when he reached on an error, allowing Huff to score.
- Minaudo recorded a sacrifice fly to score Anstandig in the top of the seventh, while Finzel hit an RBI double to score Acker and put the Scots up, 7-0.
Game 2 - at Albion 13, Alma 5
- Albion scored five times in the bottom of the first inning to chase starter Josh Riggs and posted 12 hits off Alma pitchers to avoid the series sweep.
- Max Trucks hit a double and tallied three RBIs, while Ben Finzel posted a pair of hits as the Scots were limited to just five hits in the game.
- Alma used five pitchers in the contest, with Carson Kempa throwing 4.2 innings to lead the hurlers. Jordan Masters took the loss after coming in to relieve Riggs in the first and second innings before yielding the mound to Kempa.
- Down 5-1 after one inning, the Scots scored four times in the top of the second, tying the game at 5-5. Matt Minaudo scored on a fielder's choice by Austin Roeske, while Trucks hit a three-RBI double to tie the game.
- Albion responded, eight unanswered runs to snap Alma's four-game winning streak.
The Scots will take on Trine University (IN) in a four-game series on Saturday and Sunday, April 7-8. The series opens on Saturday at Klenk Park, with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m., while on Sunday, the teams will close the weekend with a 1 p.m. doubleheader in Angola, Ind.