Olivet, Mich. - The Alma College baseball team split with Olivet College on Friday afternoon (April 20) as the Scots and Comets opened a four-game weekend series.
Olivet (8-20 overall, 4-14 MIAA) held the Scots to one hit in a 2-1 victory in Game 1, while Alma (14-14, 7-9 MIAA) scored five times in the top of the seventh inning to erase a three-run deficit and capture a 5-3 win in Game 2.
The series concludes on Sunday, April 22, with a 1 p.m. doubleheader at Klenk Park in Alma.
Game 1 - at Olivet 2, Alma 1
- Olivet took a two run lead on a home run in the bottom of the second inning, while the Comets' pitching staff held the Scots to one hit.
- Logan Huff, who was the lone Scot to get a hit, also provided Alma's only run, scoring Jordan Anstandig on a sacrifice fly in the top of the third inning.
- Dylan Dzendzel pitched all six innings for the Scots and registered five strikeouts.
Game 2 - Alma 5, at Olivet 3
- Olivet scored three times in the bottom of the sixth inning to take a 3-0 lead, but the Scots responded with a five-run seventh inning to earn the victory.
- Alma loaded the bases with no outs in the seventh and got on the board when Jaret Koin scored after Max Trucks was hit by a pitch. Jordan Anstandig hit a 2-RBI single over the first baseman to score Pete Carravallah and Alex Dwan, then Vann Acker singled at the next at bat to score Trucks. Anstandig completed the scoring when he crossed home after a fielding error allowed Logan Hufff to reach base.
- Eric Frontzak tossed a complete game and earned the win with 12 strikeouts.
The Scots will play back-to-back doubleheaders at Klenk Park, welcoming Olivet College to campus on Sunday, April 22, followed by a meeting with Hope College on Monday, April 23.