Written by Mason Ippel, Sports Information Student Assistant
Auburndale, Fla. - The Alma College baseball team wrapped up its time in Florida with a doubleheader against Union College (NY) on Saturday (Feb. 29). Alma finished the RussMatt Tournament with a record of 4-4 and is 5-6 overall.
The Scots had its ace, Dylan Dzendzel (Royal Oak, Mich. / Royal Oak), on the mound for game one. Dzendzel entered the game with a 2-0 record and 14 strikeouts in 10 innings pitched. He continued his dominance on the mound by striking out nine batters on his way to a complete game win, 20-7. Zach Schirmer (Bay City, Mich. / Bay City Western) went 3-4 with a home run and three RBIs, Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich. / Johannesburg-Lewiston) went 2-3 with a home run and two RBIs, Pete Carravallah (Canton, Mich. / Plymouth) went 4-4 from the plate, and Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich. / Standish-Sterling Central) added three more RBIs on three hits.
Aaron Saenz (Sebewaing, Mich. / Unionville-Sebewaing Area) got the start for game two. He went five innings and gave up no earned runs. However, the Scots would fall 14-12 in extra innings. Huff had another great game from the plate as he went 3-4 with 3 RBIs. Joshua Robinson (Dewitt, Mich. / Dewitt) also had a great performance at the plate with 4-5 and 2 RBIs. Koin also added three RBIs.
Game One Highlights
- Dzendzel registered three strikeouts.
- Carravallah got the first hit for the Scots on a ball back up the middle.
- Dzendzel settled in and forced the Dutchmen into a 1-2-3 inning.
- Schirmer got Alma on the board with a laser over the center field wall. Two batters later, it looked like Huff was going to put another one over but the ball hit the top of the fence. Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) would drive him in on the next pitch with a rocket off the right field wall. Carravallah stepped up next and caught the third baseman sleeping as he laid down a perfect bunt down the third base line. An error by Union and a walk by Macguire Hawley (Brooklyn, Mich. / Tecumseh) would load the bases for the leadoff batter Koin. He would hit a line drive right over the shortstop that would score two and give Alma the lead.
- Union's coach would go to the bullpen to try to stop the Alma rally. It wouldn't work as back-to-back walks by Schirmer and Avery Carnicom (Woodhaven, Mich. / Woodhaven) pushed another run across and caused another pitching change.
- Alma brought 14 batters to the plate and scored eight runs in the third to take the lead.
- Carravallah led off with a bloop single and then stole second two batters later. Robinson extended the lead with a missle over the center fielders head as he showed off his wheels by beating the throw for a triple. Koin drove him in with a single through the left side and Schirmer would continue his success at the plate with another shot over the center fielders head for a double.
- Dzendzel went three up three down with two strikeouts.
- Huff went yard on a bomb over the trees in left center field. The Scots continued their dominance at the plate with a walk and three straight singles. Schirmer and Carnicom had back-to-back doubles. Trucks hit a triple down the right field line.
- Schirmer made a nice diving catch down the right field line that saved a run.
- Nolan Chillcut (Woodhaven, Mich. / Woodhaven) had his first career hit with a single down the left field line.
- Jacob Cornman (Birch Run, Mich. / Birch Run Area) drove in Chillcut for his first career hit and rbi.
- Dzendzel finished the game with a 1-2-3 inning.
Game Two Highlights
- Carravallah made a full-extension diving catch with two outs to save a run. Saenz struck out two.
- Saenz got out of the inning quickly by going three up three down.
- Carravallah gets the Scots on the board first with a single that bounced over the second baseman.
- Carnicom started the streak of nine straight Scots on base. Huff poked his second one of the day out of the park. Trucks stepped up next and hit a line drive off the top of the fence in right field. Robinson and Kevin Tuttle (Woodhaven, Mich. / Riverview Gabriel Richard) got one, Koin two, and Huff three RBIs.
- Saenz got out of a pinch by striking out the batter with a fastball high in the zone.
- Coach Crain called Dylan Clark (Tomball, Texas / Tomball Memorial) out of the bullpen for Saenz.
- Huff and Trucks both got singles. Carravallah hit a sac fly to left field that scored Huff. Robinson hit a ball to the left center wall that scored Trucks as he had a standup double.
- Dwan started the inning with a leadoff single. Brandon Gallerson (Plano, Texas / Plano Senior) came in to pinch run. With two outs and a 1-2 count, Carnicom hit the ball back up the middle to score Gallerson and tie the game.
Eighth Inning (Extras)
- Trevor Wregglesworth (Onaway, Mich / Onaway) came out of the pen for Clark
- Clay Crouterfield (Standish, Mich. / Standish-Sterling) came in to replace Wregglesworth.
- Alma scored one and had two more on base but Union made the defensive plays needed to seal the game.
- Cornman made his college debut.
- Game one took 2 hours 55 minutes and game two took three hours and 30 minutes.
- Huff hit two homeruns and five RBIs on the day.
- Koin had six RBIs between the two games.
- Robinson leads the team in batting average and on base percentage with .520 and .613, respectively.
- Dzendzel leads the team with 23 strikeouts.
- The Scots have some power in the heart of their lineup. Huff has six homeruns, Carnicom two, and Schirmer two.
- Huff leads the team in slugging percentage and RBIs with .971 and 20, respectively.
- Of pitchers who have pitched 10 or more innings, Saenz leads the team with a 3.60 ERA.
- As a team, the Scots have a batting average of .359, on base percentage of .466, and a slugging percentage of .529.