Naperville, Ill. - The Alma College men's basketball team fell to North Central College 87-67 on Saturday (Nov. 24) evening. Alma is now 0-3 on the young season while North Central improves to 3-0.
Kevin Gamble (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant Sacred Heart) led the Scots with 14 points and eight rebounds in 24 minutes. Ryan Stevens (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) and Cole Kleiver (Williamston, Mich. / Williamston) added eight points, each.
North Central's Connor Rairdon led all players with 25 points and 10 rebounds. Matt Cappelletti added 18 points and Blaise Meredith had 17.
- The Cardinals got out to an early 10 point lead and maintained it throughout the game. Midway through the half, Alma cut the lead to four after a layup by Stevens, but North Central continued to apply pressure, mostly with free throws. It extended its lead to as many as 14 in the first half, taking an 11 point lead into the break.
- North Central found its way to the rim early in the second half, connecting with layups and tip-ins on its first seven made field goals. It would eventually push its lead to 25 in the middle stages of the second half and hold on to a 20 point margin for the rest of the game.
- Neither team shot particularly well from the field; Alma shot 38.5-percent while North Central was 44.8-percent.
- The two teams combined to shoot 9-of-36 (25-percent) from three-point range.
- The Scots grabbed 10 offensive rebounds and scored 11 points off of them.
- The rebounding battle was even — 44-41 led by the Cardinals.
Alma is back in action on Friday, Nov. 30 when it travels to St. Louis, Mo. to take part in the Lopata Classic at Washington University. It will face No. 10 Wisconsin.-Platteville at 6:00 p.m.