Mesa, Ariz. - The Alma College men's basketball team remains in search of its first win after falling to Sul Ross State, 97-73, on Tuesday (Dec. 18) in the first of two games on its' Arizona road trip.
The Lobos led for most of the way, getting out to an early six-point lead and extending it to as much as 14 by the middle stages of the first half. Alma began the game slow, shooting 7-of-26 over the first 13 minutes before finding its way and finishing 18-of-36.
Cole Kleiver (Williamston, Mich. / Williamston) led Alma (0-8) in scoring with 18 points, including making seven of eight free throws. Steven Harvey (Grand Rapids, Mich. / Forest Hills Eastern) scored 16 points on 5-of-9 shooting and 3-of-4 from deep and pulled down eight rebounds. Jamie Lewis (Pontiac, Mich. / Lake Orion) posted a career-high 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting off the bench and Matt Lark (Middleville, Mich. / Thornapple Kellogg) tied his career-high of 10 points.
B.J. Hollis led Sul Ross State (3-6) with 27 points and 11 rebounds. Jack Kirkpatrick came away with 14 points and eight boards while Tristen Licon and Conner Dawson also scored in double-digits with 13 and 12, respectively.
How it Happened
- Alma struggled to get open looks on Sul Ross's quick defense early on and fell behind 34-17 midway through the first half. Alma missed nine of its first 10 threes but scored 12 of first 17 points in the paint. Harvey led the way with seven points and five rebounds by the 11-minute mark.
- A 13-5 run brought Alma back to within 10 points at 39-29 with two minutes remaining in the frame. Kleiver scored 10 points during that stretch, including nine straight. The Lobos would push their lead back up to 16, but Kleiver drew a foul in the final seconds of the half and hit both free throws to make it 49-35 at the break.
- Lewis and Lark performed well off the bench in the middle of the second half. Lewis scored five quick points for the Scots to make it a 17 point game at 13:15. Later, he nailed a fadeaway floater in the lane after creating space with a euro-step.
- Lark enjoyed a solid three-minute stretch where he notched three layups, one assist and a steal. Isaiah Williamson (Sebewaing, Mich. / Unionville-Sebewaing Area) found Lark slicing through the lane where he scored uncontested to begin the run, then he forced a steal from Jezreel Griffin and took it coast-to-coast. Minutes later, he got to the rim again and finished around a defender and followed on next possession by getting past his man and finding Williamson for an easy score.
- The Lobos hit 10 of their first 15 second-half shots to push its lead back up to 22. They would extend the lead to as much as 26 before the end of the game.
- Steven Harvey had arguably his best game of the year, statistically. He tied his season-high of 16 points and posted a new season-high of three made threes. His eight rebounds were one off his season-best.
- The Alma bench combined to score 35 points, the most in any game this season, led by Jamie Lewis' and Matt Lark's career marks. Brandon Rake (Whitehall, Mich. / Whitehall) and Isaiah Williamson pitched in with five and four points apiece.
- This was the Scots' best game from the free throw line this year, making 18 of their 21 attempts (85.7-percent).
- Alma blocked six shots in the game, three of which came from Williamson.
Alma continues its Arizona trip with a 2 p.m. game on Wednesday (Dec. 19) against No. 4 Whitman.