Albion, Mich. - The Alma College men's basketball team dropped an 88-77 decision to Albion College on Saturday (Feb. 2) afternoon.
Freshman Cole Kleiver (Williamston, Mich. / Williamston) led all scorers with 24 points on 9-of-15 shooting and 6-of-11 from three-point range. He also added six rebounds and four assists in his 34 minutes. Junior guard Steven Harvey (Grand Rapids, Mich. / Forest Hills Eastern) tallied 18 points, making four of his eight threes, and pulling down a game-high nine rebounds.
Nathaniel Collins led the Britons with 20 points off the bench. He shot 7-of-8 from the field and 5-of-6 from deep. Caden Ebeling scored 17 and Jamezell Davis, Jr. put up 11 points, seven rebounds and six assists.
Albion shot 51-percent from the field and 50-percent from behind the arc while only turning the ball over three times. Alma trailed for most of the game and took a brief one-point lead early in the second half, but the Britons quickly regained the lead and kept the Scots at bay for the rest of the game.
How It Happened
- Alma made its first five shots from the field, taking an 11-4 lead through the first four minutes. From there, Albion went on a 22-5 run to take a 26-16 lead by the 11: 00-minute mark.
- Harvey converted a four-point play and Amari Hudson (Highland Park, Mich. / Detroit Edison Public School Academy) hit two free throws to cut Albion's lead to four, but the Britons would score the next eight points to make it a 12-point game. Again, Alma cut the deficit to five after a layup from Harvey, but Jamezell Davis, Jr. would hit a jumper just before the first half buzzer to give Albion a seven-point lead at the break.
- Harvey scored Alma's first six points of the second half — an and-one and a three — to bring the Scots to within one. Kleiver hit a jumper two possessions later to give the Scots a one-point lead, their first since the 14:12 mark of the first half. After trading the lead with the Britons, Kleiver got it back once more with a three, giving the Scots a 51-50 lead. Albion responded with a three of its own to regain the lead — it would hold it for the rest of the game.
- The two teams traded baskets on the next seven possessions as Alma stayed within four points of the lead. That ended when the Britons went on an 8-0 run with 8:30 remaining, pushing its lead up to 10. Alma would get no closer than eight points from that point on.
- All eight Alma players who saw action in the game scored.
- Twenty-four points are the second-most Cole Kleiver has scored this season, the most being 35 points in a 101-97 loss to No. 12 Wisconsin-Whitewater on Dec. 8. His nine made field goals is also second-best to his Dec. 8 performance.
- Steven Harvey's 18 points are also the second-most he's scored this season; he put up 19 in a 74-69 win over Adrian on Jan. 19. In addition, his four three-pointers are the second-most he's had this year; he made five against St. Norbert on Dec. 28.
- Harvey is averaging 10.3 rebounds in his last three games. He is currently second on the team with 5.5 rebounds per game.
- Ryan Stevens (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) continues to lead the MIAA in assists. He averages 6.5 per game and tallied five against the Britons.
Alma will host Calvin on Monday (Feb. 4) at 7:30 p.m. in a game that was rescheduled from Jan. 30 due to extreme weather conditions. The Knights are 5-4 in the conference and fell to the Scots on two Steven Harvey free throws at the buzzer in their first matchup this season.