Kalamazoo, Mich. - The Alma College men's lacrosse team defeated Kalamazoo College by a 9-1 margin on Friday (April 22) night behind three goals from senior Marshall Argenta (Stafford, N.Y./Notre Dame). The Scots improved their record to 10-4 overall and moved into sole possession of second place in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association with a 4-1 mark.
Argenta, who has scored a goal in every game this season, posted his fourth straight multi-goal game with his fourth hat trick of the season. Freshman Jared Nycz (Elma, N.Y./Iriquois) added a pair of markers and tallied five assists for his second career seven-point game.
The Scots held the Hornets to just seven shots on goal while testing goalie Michael Dutcher with 16 shots on net. Senior Al Lesperance (Farmington, Mich./Farmington) played the first half and was credited with the win, while freshman Cam Stelljes (Okemos, Mich./Okemos) and junior David Smith (Royal Oak, Mich./Royal Oak) saw action in the second half.
Alma had a 5-0 lead at the half and took a 9-0 advantage with 9:01 left to play in the fourth quarter. Kalamazoo, in its first year of men's lacrosse, broke the shutout with a goal by Nick Swain with 5:03 left in the game.
Sophomore Austen Irrer (Midland, Mich./Midland) tallied a season-high six ground balls for the Scots, which played deep into their bench in tonight's game.
Alma will return to Bahlke Field on Tuesday, April 26, to host Calvin College in the final regular-season home game for the Scots. The opening face-off is slated for 7:00 p.m. Prior to the game, 10 seniors will be honored as a part of Senior Night festivities.
• The Scots have recorded 10 wins for the second straight season. In the first three years of the program, Alma had nine combined victories. The school record for wins is 11, set a year ago.
• Marshall Argenta scored his 90th career goal. Argentina is the Scots' career leader in goals (90), assists (35), and points (125). His 29 goals this season match his output from a year ago.
• Jared Nycz has tallied a school-record 31 assists this season and is leading the Scots with a school-record 62 points, adding 31 goals. Nycz has scored in every game this year and has registered an assist in each of his last seven appearances.
• Sophomore Daniel Buchy (Springboro, Ohio/Springboro) scored his team-best 32nd goal of the season, which currently stands as the school record.
• Daniel Buchy and Jared Nycz are the first players in Alma history to scored 30 or more goals in a single season, while Nycz is the first player to record more than 30 helpers in a campaign.
• Freshman Johnathon Durga (Cadillac, Mich./Cadillac) netted his first career goal.
• Freshman Jake Ellens (Cadillac, Mich./Cadillac) scored a goal for the 13th straight game. Ellens is third on the team with 26 goals and 36 points (26-10–36)
Head Coach Michael Kinney
"After a long week of exams, graduation looming and a hard-fought game on Wednesday, it was nice to get past this one tonight. Now we can rest up for the final two games while we celebrate our great senior class on Saturday."