Alma, Mich. - The Alma College men's lacrosse team snapped a two-game slide on Wednesday (March 14) at Bahlke Field, defeating Heidelberg University (OH) by a 16-7 margin in non-conference action.
Alma (2-5 overall) was led by senior Daniel Buchy (Springboro, Ohio/Springboro), who scored a season-high three goals to register his first hat trick of the season, while junior Jake Ellens (Cadillac, Mich./Cadillac) posted a team-high five points with two goals and three assists.
Junior Jared Nycz (Elma, N.Y./Iroquois) added four points, including three assists, while senior Bryce Bohrmann (Grand Rapids, Mich./Pennfield) and sophomore Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich./Sault Area) added two goals each as the Scots outshot the Student Princes by a 43-28 margin.
Sophomore Hank Wickley (Petaluma, Calif./Casa Grande) stopped 12 shots in net for Alma to earn his second win of the season.
Heidelberg (4-1) was paced by Liam Weaver's three markers as the Student Princes saw their season-opening four-game win streak snapped.
How It Happened
- Alma opened the game with four straight goals - including three by Daniel Buchy - to take a 4-0 lead 11 minutes into the contest. Heidelberg broke the string with a marker by Nick Selfridge before Trevor Bailey scored just over a minute later to give the Scots a 5-1 advantage after the first quarter.
- In the second quarter, Heidelberg scored with a man up to pull within three goals, but Alma response, scoring five straight to take a 10-2 advantage. The Student Princes added a goal with two minutes to play in the half, giving the Scots a 10-3 lead at the break.
- Liam Weaver completed his hat trick at 11:12 of the third quarter to get Heidelberg within six at 10-4, but the Scots went on a run again, scoring four straight to take a 14-4 lead into the final quarter.
- The Student Princes scored three times in the final stanza, while Alma added a pair of markers to seal its first home victory of the season.
- Connor Alley has scored in five of his last six games.
- Daniel Buchy's three goals marked a season-high and his first hat trick of the season.
- Levi Petersen has scored in two of his last three appearances.
- Chase Hunyadi posted a goal and an assist for his fifth multi-point game of the year.
- Tommy Huckle went 14-19 on face-offs and was credited with his first career assist.
- Cole Gordon scored a goal and has found the net in two of his last three outings.
- Connor Gilbert netted his first career goal.
- Quinton Bortel also scored his first career goal.
- Bryce Bohrmann scored two goals for his second multi-goal game of the season and added an assist for three points.
- Jake Ellens tied a season-high with three assists and total five points in the game, adding two goals for his third multi-goal affair of the year.
- Trevor Bailey scored two goals for the second straight game. He has found the net in six of his seven games this season and has scored two or more goals five times.
Alma will play their next five games on the road, starting on Saturday, March 17, with a 1 p.m. contest at Capital University (OH). The Scots will return to Bahlke Field on April 10 to host Adrian College.