Alma, Mich. - Albion College scored with 2:02 left in regulation to break a 5-5 tie and defeat the Alma College men's lacrosse team by a 6-5 margin on Thursday night (April 19) at Bahlke Field.
The Scots (5-9 overall, 2-2 MIAA) took a 4-2 lead in the first quarter and were up by a 5-3 margin at the half, but Albion (6-6, 4-0 MIAA) scored three times in the second half while holding Alma to just seven total shots.
Junior Jake Ellens (Cadillac, Mich./Cadillac) led the Scots with three goals, while sophomore Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich./Sault Area) and junior Jared Nycz (Elma, N.Y./Iriquois) also scored. Junior Cameron Stelljes (Okemos, Mich./Okemos) stopped tall in net, making 13 saves and collecting five ground balls.
The Britons were led by Alec Palmer, who scored the game-tying and game-winning goals, while Trevor McManus stopped 10 shots in net.
How It Happened
- Alma scored 1:30 into the game when Trevor Bailey found the net, but Albion responded 2:15 later to tie the game at 1-1.
- The Britons took a 2-1 lead just under two minutes later before the Scots pumped in three markers - including two man-up goals - as Jake Ellens notched a natural hat trick to put Alma up, 4-2, after the first 15 minutes.
- Albion pulled within one with 6:10 to play in the half before Jared Nycz responded, giving the Scots a 5-3 advantage with 2:40 left in the second quarter.
- Albion opened the third quarter with a pair of goals, scoring a man-up 2:58 into the half and then tying the game with 10:16 to play in the third.
- The teams remained scoreless until Alec Palmer broke the tie in the fourth quarter, scoring with 2:02 left on a breakout play.
- Alma is 0-8 all time against Albion, but held the Britons to a series-low goal total.
- Jared Nycz netted his 98th career goal and is two shy of becoming the first player in program history to record 100 career goals and assists.
- Connor Alley extended his point streak to eight games with an assist to extend his assist streak to six games.
- Jared Nycz has scored in eight straight games.
- Trevor Bailey pushed his point streak to six games with a goal.
The Scots return to Bahlke Field on Friday, April 20, to host Calvin College in the final regular-season home game for Alma. The opening face-off is slated for 7 p.m.