Alma, Mich. - The Alma College men's lacrosse team dropped a 21-10 decision to Capital University (OH) on Saturday (March 2) afternoon.
Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne) scored a team-high three goals for the Scots (1-2), while Timothy Gearig (Vicksburg, Mich. / Vicksburg) added two goals and three assists. Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y. / Iroquois) and Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. / Sault Area / Olivet College) each scored twice, as well. Freshman goalie Michael Donahue (Cleveland, Ohio / St. Ignatius) made 10 saves in the first action of his collegiate career; Hank Wickley (Petaluma, Calif. / Casa Grande) made seven saves as the starter.
Capital's (2-1) CJ Hughes scored a game-high six goals and added three assists. Ryan Rampi tallied four goals.
How It Happened
- Bailey scored the game's first goal with a man-up 3:40 into the game. Capital would follow with the next two goals.
- Alley scored his first on an assist from Gearig to knot the score at two at 4:28 in the first quarter. The Crusaders would score the quarter's final four goals, ending with Rampi scoring with 10 seconds left.
- Alley's next goal came late in the second quarter after Capital reeled off five straight.
- The Scots scored back-to-back twice in the third quarter and Gearig factored in on all of them. He scored an unassisted goal at 12:15, then assisted on a man-up goal by Nycz nearly three minutes later. Later, he scored another unassisted goal and assisted on Quinton Bortel's (Midland, Mich. / H.H. Dow) second career goal.
- Alma would score three more times in the fourth quarter: one from Alley, one from Nycz and one from Bailey.
- Connor Alley has scored hat tricks in each game this season. He and Trevor Bailey lead the team with nine goals, each.
- Capital committed six penalties on the day; Alma scored on two of them.
Alma has four days off until its next game. It will travel to Ohio Wesleyan University to play the Bishops on Thursday (March 7). The game is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m.