Alma, Mich. – The Alma College men's lacrosse team fell to North Central College (IL), 13-8, Saturday (Mar. 9) afternoon. Senior midfielder Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y. / Iroquois) led the way for the Scots with a four-point day with a goal and three assists. Alma is now 2-4 on the season while the Cardinals stay a perfect 3-0 this year.
How It Happened
- Nycz scored the first goal of the game just over three and half minutes in. Junior midfielder Tom Needham (Saline, Mich. / Saline) found Nycz across the field and the senior buried it to put the Scots on the board.
- After North Central went on a run of scores, freshman attacker Timothy Gearig (Vicksburg, Mich. / Vicksburg) got Alma back on the scoreboard in the final minute of the first quarter with a shot that bounced between the legs of the Cardinals netminder.
- The Scots were the first to strike in the second when Nycz came up from behind the Cardinal net and fed it out to Needham who scored to make it a one score game. Needham would score another later in the quarter. Alma would find themselves down by five heading to halftime.
- The Cardinals would add to their lead with two goals to open the third quarter until sophomore attacker Quinton Bortel (Midland, Mich. / H.H. Dow) fired one top shelf for Alma's fifth score of the contest. Not even a minute later junior midfielder Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) put one right past the North Central goalie's stick into the back of the net to cut the lead back to five.
- In the fourth, Gearig added his second goal of the day with over 8 minutes remaining. A few minutes later, Nycz sent the ball to the front of the net where junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne) grabbed the ball and shot it through the crease. That would be the final score of the game for either side.
- Nycz leads the team with 30 points this season, the senior now has 250 points in his career at Alma.
- Senior goalie Cameron Stelljes (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) made his season debut in net for the Scots today. He made 15 saves.
- Alley and Bailey have scored in all six games so far this season.
The Scots will host Beloit College Tuesday (Mar. 12) at 6 p.m.