Alma, Mich. – The Alma College men's lacrosse team defeated Beloit College on Tuesday (Mar. 12) by a score of 25-8. Junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne) scored a game-high six goals and added three assists. The Scots improve to 3-4 on the season while the Buccaneers drop to 1-2.
How It Happened
- The Scots got off to a 4-0 start in the first five minutes with goals from four different players. Alley notched his second of the game to make it 5-1 while junior attacker Chase Hunyadi (Pepper Pike, Ohio / University School) netted his first of a five goal day to put Alma up 6-1.
- Junior midfielder Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) opened the second quarter scoring to make it 7-3. After a Beloit score, the Scots would finish out the half with five straight goals to lead 12-4 at the break.
- The third quarter started the same as the second with another Bailey score, this one just over 30 seconds into the period. A Buccaneer score would be followed by a 7-0 run by the Scots capped off by a first career goal by junior midfielder Janis Grigans (Lansing, Mich. / Lansing Catholic). Alley scored one in the final seconds of the third to give Alma a 21-6 lead heading into the final period.
- Bailey led off the fourth with a man up advantage goal that was assisted by senior midfielder Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y.). Alley, Nycz and freshman attacker Timothy Gearig would score the final three goals for the Scots.
- Hunyadi scored five and had one assist after missing the previous three games.
- Bailey and Gearig each scored four and recorded three assists. Nycz buried three into the net while having a game-high five assists.
- Senior goalie Cameron Stelljes (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) made 11 saves in his first win of the season.
- 24 goals are the most for Alma since they scored 26 against Adrian College on April 10, 2018.
- The Scots won 36 ground balls compared to Beloit's 32. Sophomore midfielder Connor Gilbet (Battle Creek, Mich. / Harper Creek) had a team-high seven ground balls.
- Alma was successful on 21 of their 22 clear attempts.
The Scots head to Heidelberg University (OH) for 7 p.m. game Wednesday (Mar. 13). Alma's next home contest comes Saturday (Mar. 16) at 2 p.m. versus John Carroll University (OH).