Alma, Mich. – The Alma College men's lacrosse team dropped one, 13-8, to DePauw University (IN) on Saturday (Mar. 23) at Bahlke Field. With the loss, the Scots are 4-6 on the season while the Tigers improve to 2-5.
How It Happened
- Alma found themselves in a 3-0 hole until junior midfielder Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, ich. / Sault Area) netted one with a just over three minutes remaining in the first period.
- Back down three early in the second, with a man up advantage, senior midfielder Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y. / Iroquois) scored. The goal was Nycz's 120th of his career making him the program's all-time leading scorer. Freshman attacker Timothy Gearig (Vicksburg, Mich. / Vicksburg) scored late in the half as the Scots found themselves down by four heading to the second half.
- A Gearig goal was sandwiched in between two Tiger goals to start the third quarter. The Scots would then go a 3-0 run to close out the period with a goal by junior attacker Chase Hunyadi and back-to-back scores by junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne). Heading into the final quarter, Alma trailed by two.
- DePauw would answer the Scots' run with a 3-0 run of their own to start the quarter to put the game away. Hunyadi would add the final goal of the game for Alma with just over five minutes remaining.
- Nycz led the team with a four-point day. The senior is the program's record holder for all-time goals, assists and points.
- Senior goalie Cameron Stelljes (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) made 16 saves in net. He now has 411 career saves.
- Alley and Bailey extended their season-long goal streaks to 10.
The Scots head to Elmhurst College (IL) on Sunday, March 31 at 1 p.m. to finish up their non-conference schedule. Alma will return home on Wednesday, April 3 to start MIAA play against Hope College at 7 p.m.