Elmhurst, Ill. – The Alma College men's lacrosse team loss, 17-4, to the Elmhurst College Bluejays on Sunday at Elmhurst's Langhorst Field. Senior midfielder Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y. / Iroquois) scored two goals and tallied one assist to the lead the Scots. Alma drops to 4-7 on the year while the Bluejays now hold a 4-4 record.
How It Happened
- Alma struggled to find the net from the start. Down 5-0 after one quarter of play the Scots finally got on the scoreboard after winning the face off and then a minute later freshman attacker Timothy Gearig (Vicksburg, Mich. / Vicksburg) striking one in from a difficult angle.
- Still in the second, now down 6-1, sophomore attacker Tommy Quinlan (Orland Park, Ill. / Carl J. Sandberg) took an illegal body check that led to a man up goal by Nycz. Gearig fed Nycz the ball at the point and the senior fired one past the keeper to cut the lead back to four.
- Nycz would net the next Alma score with just over 10 minutes remaining in the third quarter. The Scots would go over 22 minutes straight without a goal before junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne) scored with Nycz earning the assist.
- Senior goalie Cameron Stelljes (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) made seven saves in the 43 minutes he was in between the pipes today. With 418 career saves, Stelljes is 16 saves away from breaking the program's all-time record.
- Alley extended his season-long goal streak to 11 games with his score that came with less than two and half minutes left in the contest.
- 11 of Alma's 23 turnovers came in the first quarter.
The Scots prepare for the start off MIAA play. The conference season begins Wednesday (Apr. 3) with Hope College coming to Bahlke Field for a 7 p.m. game.