Alma, Mich. – The Alma College men's lacrosse team defeated the Kalamazoo College Hornets on Saturday at Bahlke Field by a score of 22-9. Junior attacker Chase Hunyadi (Pepper Pike, Ohio / University School) scored a season-high six goals to lead the Scots.
Senior goalie Cameron Stelljes (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) started in net for Alma. He only played the first half of the game making nine saves to earn the win but broke the program's all-time saves record during the game.
Alma moves to 5-8 overall and 1-1 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association while Kalamazoo is now 4-4 and 0-1 in the MIAA.
How It Happened
- The Scots were able to strike in the first moments of the game. Sophomore midfielder Connor Gilbert (Battle Creek, Mich. / Harper Creek) won the opening faceoff and took off the down the field and scored just eight seconds into the contest.
- Alma and Kalamazoo would each scored back-to-back times after the opening goal. The Scots would then go on a 5-1 run to finish out the period as Alma led 8-3 heading to the second.
- With already two goals in the first, Hunyadi would score twice in the first two minutes of the second quarter. The Hornets answered to cut the lead to six, but the Scots went on another run, this time 5-0 to take a 15-4 lead. Senior midfielder Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y. / Iroquois) scored two and assisted on two during the run. Kalamazoo scored one with three seconds left in the half to make it a 10-goal game.
- Nycz opened the scoring in the second half just under five minutes in. After a Hornet goal, junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne) extended his season-long 13-game goal streak with a score that Nycz assisted on.
- Kalamazoo would go on a three-goal run to cut the lead to single digits early in the fourth. Alma responded with four goals to finish out the game to take the runaway victory.
- Nycz, freshman attacker Timothy Gearig (Vicksburg, Mich. / Vicksburg) and junior midfielder Tom Needham (Saline, Mich. / Saline) each tallied four goals. It was a new career-high in a single game for Needham.
- Nycz dished out a game-high five assists.
- Stelljes now has 440 career saves. The senior also has 103 stops this season and is the first Scot to ever record three 100 save saves.
- Alma remains undefeated against Kalamazoo.
The Scots begin a season-long run of three straight road games. They will head to Adrian College on Tuesday, April 9 for a 7 p.m. faceoff. The next home game will be the final game of the regular season with Trine University (IN) coming to Bahlke Field on Saturday, April 27 at 1 p.m.