Alma, Mich. - The Alma College men's soccer team fell by a 2-1 margin to Albion College on Wednesday (Sept. 13) afternoon at Scotland Yard in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association opener for both teams.
The Scots (0-4-1 overall, 0-1-0 MIAA) led at halftime on a goal by freshman Sam Huver (Traverse City, Mich./Central), but a pair of second-half goals from the Britons (4-0-1, 1-0-0 MIAA), including one in the 84th minute by Christian Hurtado, was the difference in the match.
Sophomore Garrison Mast (Grand Haven, Mich./Grand Haven) made five saves for Alma.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sam Huver game Alma a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute on a tap in to the left corner of the net. The play was set up after sophomore Jake Geary (Novi, Mich./Novi) served the ball in from midfield and it caromed off Albion keeper Maximilian Loria onto Huver's foot.
- Alma almost went up 2-0 in the 57th minute, but sophomore Brian Ganton's (Williamston, Mich./Williamston) shot hit the crossbar.
- Albion tied the game in the 63rd minute when Joel Zaretti beat Mast to the left corner.
- The Brits took the lead in the 84th minute off a goal from Christian Hurtado, who had subbed into the match 90 seconds earlier.
- Sam Huver's goal - the first of his career - snapped a three-game scoreless streak for the Scots, and marked Alma's first goal in 350:40 of playing time.
- Jake Geary's assist was the second of his career.
NEXT UP …
The Scots will hit the road for their next two matches, starting on Saturday, Sept. 16, with a Noon contest at Olivet College. Following visit to Kalamazoo College on September 19, Alma will return to Scotland Yard to host Calvin College. First touch against the Knights is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 23.