Grand Rapids, Mich. - Junior Kyle Farmer (Greenville, Mich. / Greenville) scored the game-winning goal in the 87th minute to propel the Alma College men's soccer team to a 3-2 win over Aquinas College on Wednesday (Sept. 18) evening. Alma improves to 3-3 overall while Aquinas remains searching for its first win at 0-6.
Farmer had two goals on the night; junior Noah Canlas (Naperville, Ill. / Naperville Central) had the other for Alma. Its first two goals came in response to Aquinas goals - Alma only led for the final 3:38.
Senior goalkeeper Andrew Reid (Clarkston, Mich. / Clarkston) made six saves in his first career win. Aquinas goalkeeper Joseph Liblong made five.
How it Happened
- Both offenses were active early. Aquinas scored in the fifth minute and was followed one minute later by Farmer's first goal.
- Reid mishandled the ball on the Saints' second goal.
- Canlas scored in the 32nd minute off a set piece from roughly 20 yards out. He finessed the ball into the top-right corner of the net, past the outstretched arm of Liblong.
- Aquinas' Conner Lund had a chance to regain the lead for his team in the 35th minute after receiving a pass roughly five yards away from Mast, but he airmailed the shot high and wide of the net.
- Alma had a chance to score in the 44th minute when Tanner Parrett (Muskegon, Mich. / Mona Shores) sent a long ball to Nick Stander (Macomb Twp. Mich. / Dakota) that Stander caught inside the box. Having to gather and shoot in one motion, Stander chipped the ball just high of the net.
- The second half was calmer than the first until the final minutes. Parrett again sent a long pass from the center line toward the box, where Farmer caught up to it. He ripped a shot toward Liblong who got a hand on the ball but couldn't get enough of it. It trickled past the goal line at 86:22.
- Andrew Reid made his second start in net this season and third of his career.
- Kyle Farmer leads the Scots with four goals thus far. Noah Canlas is second with two.
- Parrett and Lucas Foust (Brooklyn, Mich. / Jackson Lumen Christi) had the assists on Farmer's goal.
- An offside call in the 38th minute took away Aquinas' third goal.
- A header by Kyle Farmer off a corner kick in the 55th minute went just wide of the near post.
- A shot from Tanner Parrett in the 83rd minute from roughly 25 yards out sailed just wide of the net.
Alma has six days before its next game. It will travel to Cleary University on Monday, Sept. 24 for a game at 4:00 p.m.