Alma, Mich. - The Alma College men's soccer dropped a 6-0 decision at the hands of nationally ranked No. 3 Calvin College. Senior goalkeeper Andrew Reid (Clarkston, Mich. / Clarkston) had a career high eight saves in the defeat.
After 15 minutes of keeping the Knights' high-powered offense at bay, Calvin finally broke out with three goals in five minutes. They added three more in the second half.
With the loss, Alma drops to 5-6 overall and 2-1 in conference. While Calvin improves to 11-1 and 3-0 in MIAA play.
- The Scots stingy defense held off six shots in the first 15 minutes. Dillon Weldy opened up the scoring for the Knights. Weldy received a ball from Bobby McCaw and then put it past Reid's left side.
- Hunter Olson followed it up when he came to the center part of the field, had his shot blocked and then picked up again to score. Not even a minute later, McCaw scored to make it 3-0. It was McCaw's sixth goal in the last three games.
- Junior forward Sam Swem (Buchanan, Mich. / Buchanan) had the best chance of the day for the Scots in the second half when his shot was right on target but tipped over the net by Calvin's netminder Chris Morrish.
- Nick Stander (Macomb Twp. Mich. / Dakota) helped the team save count in the second half when he cleared the ball with his head in a diving attempt right in front of the net.
- Alma stood strong against corner kicks, facing nine attempts and allowing no goals in those situations.
- Jacob Witte scored two goals in the second half for the Knights. Trent Vegter had a header late for Calvin's final tally.
- Stander was called for yellow card during the second half.
The Scots start a run of three road games in a row at Kalmazoo College on Saturday, October 13 at 7:00 p.m. Alma returns home to face Trine University (IN) on Tuesday, October 23 at 4:00 p.m. in what will be their final regular season game of the year.