Clermont, Fla. - The Alma College softball team won its first two games of its season on Saturday (Feb. 24), 12-7 against Augustana (Ill.) and 8-4 against Alverno (Wis.).
Junior third baseman McKenzie Creed (Edwardsburg, Mich. / Edwardsburg) performed well from the three-hole, going 5-of-8 with four doubles and eight RBI on the day. She also scored two runs and drew a walk. Sophomore centerfielder Bry Chapman (Holt, Mich. / Holt) went 5-for-6 at the plate and tied for the team-high of four runs scored. Senior right fielder Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) also had a strong outing, going 3-for-8 and batting in four runs.
Freshman Ashley Crowder (Bridgman, Mich. / Bridgman) and Brooks combined for a one-hitter in game two against the Inferno.
How It Happened
- Against Augustana, Alma jumped out to a 2-0 lead after one inning. After Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) and Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) reached base, Creed doubled to deep center field, scoring Tucker. Brooks brought Terwilliger home next with a single to center.
- Augustana scored six of its seven runs in the top of the second inning, five of which came with two outs.
- The Scots scored three runs in the bottom half of the inning to get back to within one. Again, Creed and Brooks were the heart of the offense with two doubles, scoring Chapman, Terwilliger and Creed.
- Both teams picked up a run in the fourth inning, both on groundouts to the shortstop; Brooks earned the RBI for the Scots.
- Alma regained the lead in the bottom of the fifth. After tying the game on a bases-loaded walk, Creed reached on a fielder's choice, scoring Chapman. Tucker came home on an error by Augustana's shortstop.
- The Scots picked up three insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth, two of which were unearned. Kennedy Hilley (Lake Odessa, Mich. / Lakewood) scored on a fielder's choice by Tucker and Preslee Deater (Grant, Mich. / Grant) scored on an error by the Viking catcher.
- The Scots led 5-0 after two innings against Alverno in game two. Tucker and Terwilliger led off the game with two singles, setting the table for Creed to double them both home. She scored on a fielder's choice by sophomore catcher Madyson Piche (Sault Saint Marie, Mich. / Sault Area).
- Creed again doubled home two runs in the second inning, plating Chapman and Tucker to give Alma a 5-0 lead.
- Alverno would score the next four runs, cutting the deficit to one by the end of the fifth inning.
- In the top of the sixth, Brooks singled home Chapman with two outs. The in the top of the seventh, freshman Kali Prillwitz (St. Joseph, Mich. / St. Joseph) grounded out to short, scoring Averi Munro (Morrice, Mich. / Morrice) and Chapman brought in Piche from third on a sacrifice fielder's choice.
- Alma scored in every inning except the third against Augustana.
- Mary Brooks made her first career appearance on the mound against Alverno. She allowed no hits and earned the save in three innings of work.
- The Scots struck out twice in 67 plate appearances on Saturday.
Alma will face St. Mary's College (MN) and Concordia College (MN) on Sunday, Feb. 25. First pitch against the Cardinals is scheduled for 9:00 a.m. while the game against the Cobbers will begin immediately thereafter.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director