Kalamazoo, Mich. - The Alma College softball team swept Kalamazoo on Monday (April 2), 7-0 and 3-2 in eight innings. Alma is now 17-6 overall and 3-1 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association; Kalamazoo is 8-10 and 0-2.
Katie McClure (Manchester, Mich. / Manchester) earned the win in game one. She tossed all seven innings, allowing five hits and striking out nine, the most in her last six starts and second-most all year.
Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) went 6-for-8 on the day with two doubles, a triple, two RBI and two runs scored. Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) hit her seventh home run of the season and earned her eighth win on this mound.
How It Happened
Game 1 - Alma 7, at Kalamazoo 0
- Tucker hit a two-out two-RBI triple to score Alma's first runs of the game in the second inning. Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) singled her home in the next at-bat.
- Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) plated two more runs with her seventh double of the year in the fifth.
- Brooks smacked a solo shot in the seventh inning. Madyson Piche (Sault Saint Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) followed with a single and McClure brought her home with a double for Alma's seventh run.
Game 2 - Alma 3, at Kalamazoo 2 (8 innings)
- Alma scored two runs in the third inning; it started with a bunt single by Tucker. She was doubled home by Martin. Martin scored on a single by Brooks. The Scots would leave the bases loaded.
- Kalamazoo picked up a run in the fifth on an RBI single and another in the seventh on a sacrifice squeeze to tie the game.
- The Hornets loaded the bases with one out in the eighth but Brooks forced a groundout and a popout to the end the inning.
- Bry Chapman (Holt, Mich. / Holt) scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the eighth. She singled through the left side, advanced to second on a walk to Martin, and scored on a single by McKenzie Creed (Edwardsburg, Mich. / Edwardsburg) that skipped past the Hornet third baseman.
- Cassidy Tucker is 11-for-20 in her last five games with three doubles, two triples, six RBI and eight runs scored. She was also hit by two pitches during that stretch.
- Brooks' seven home runs are tied for second in the conference.
- With two RBI on the day, Brooks also has a new season-high 35 RBI.
- Katie McClure is third in the conference in strikeouts over seven innings (7.73) and fourth in total K's (60).
- Kalamazoo was 3-for-17 with two outs in both games, including 0-for-8 in game two.
Alma travels to Olivet College on Tuesday, April 3 for a doubleheader beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director