Holland, Mich. - The Alma College softball team dropped a pair of games to Hope on Tuesday (April 2), 7-6 and 10-6.
Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) went 4-for-5 with a double, a triple, four walks and three runs scored. Creed went 4-for-8 with a double in game two in addition to her long ball in the first game.
Hope (12-4, 2-0 MIAA) managed just two total extra-base hits on the day, instead relying on speed, good hit placement and good fortune. In game two, the Flying Dutch had four infield hits and only scored three of their 10 runs on hits – the other seven came from walks, errors, or sacrifices.
How It Happened
Game 1 - at Hope 7, Alma 6
- Creed launched a solo home run, her sixth of the season, in the bottom of the first inning to begin the scoring. Hope wouldn't register a hit until the third inning, when a single to center field drove in Shay Pinhey, who walked, from second.
- Schweiger led off the fourth inning with a triple to center field. She scored on a sacrifice fly from Hadyn Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy).
- Hope put up five runs in the bottom of the fifth, though the ball only left the infield twice: on a two-RBI single to center field and a sacrifice fly. The Flying Dutch reached base by an infield single, a bunt single, a fielder's choice, a walk and an error.
- Alma tied the game in the next half inning with three singles and three walks. Tucker and Schweiger both hit infield singles to begin the run, then Creed, Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) and Madyson Piche (Sault Sainte Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) all walked, the last two batters forcing runs home. Now down 6-4, Kaylee Martin singled to center field to knot the game back up.
- In the top half of the seventh, Alma got runners on first and second base with one out, but its next two batters struck out.
- Hope scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh. Its lead-off hitter worked a walk, the next batter sacrificed her to second, and the last batter singled her home.
Game 2 - Hope 10, at Alma 6
- Both offenses stayed hot to start game two. Hope scored three runs in the top of the first and Alma answered with a leadoff home run by Tucker and a two-RBI single from Piche.
- After the Flying Dutch picked up another run in the second inning, Alma took the lead with a Hadyn Terwilliger double to center field that plated Creed and Schweiger.
- Hope would go on to score seven runs over the next three innings. The Scots would post six hits and no runs from the fourth inning on.
- Alma had runners on the corners with two outs in the bottom of the seventh and Creed at the plate, but she flew out to center field to end the game.
- McKenzie Creed leads the MIAA with six home runs, 26 RBI, nine doubles and 57 total bases.
- Cassidy Tucker and Chelsea Schweiger are second and third, respectively, in the conference in batting average. Tucker is hitting .455 this year, while Schweiger is at .453. The league leader is Kinslea Blouin, who is hitting .457.
- All seven of Hope's leadoff batters recorded a hit in game two.
- The Flying Dutch are receiving votes in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Division III poll.
The Scots remain on the road to face Olivet on Wednesday (April 3). First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.