Olivet, Mich. - The Alma College softball team dropped a pair of games to Olivet on Wednesday (April 3), 7-0 and 7-5.
The Scots (11-11, 1-5 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) were led by Hadyn Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy), who had six hits in seven at-bats on the day. Madyson Piche (Sault Sainte Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) also came up big in clutch spots for Alma, posting three RBI on two hits.
Amanda Efaw (Ithaca, Mich. / Alma) took the loss in game two, but allowed just two earned runs in 5.1 innings. Haley Ullrich (Elk River, Minn. / Elk River) allowed just three hits against 15 batters faced.
Olivet's (14-10, 3-3 MIAA) Kenslea Blouin and Jazmin Hildebrand each hit home runs; Blouin leads the league with a .473 batting average and is tied for the league lead with six home runs, while
How It Happened
Game 1 - at Olivet 7, Alma 0
- The Comets began the game strong, scoring four runs in the bottom of the first on three singles, a walk and a double. Danielle Erickson was thrown out trying to stretch the double into a triple.
- The Scots left eight runners on base, including four in scoring position.
- Alma's best chance to score came in the seventh inning when Hannah Fleming (Rogers City, Mich. / Rogers City) doubled to right-center field and stole third, but the Scots grounded out to end the game. It was the only runner Alma had on third base all game.
- Olivet tacked on one run in the bottom of the third with a single up the middle, then added two more insurance runs in the fifth inning when Jazmin Hildebrand hit a home run to center field.
Game 2 - Olivet 7, at Alma 5
- Alma started the scoring in the bottom of the second inning with a double steal. With Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) at bat, Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) stole second which allowed Hadyn Terwilliger to steal home. Martin would ground out to first base, but Olivet's first baseman committed a throwing error trying to get Riley Terwilliger out at third; the error allowed her to score.
- Kinslea Blouin launched a two-run home run to right field in the next half inning to tie the game. Then, Taylor Shellenberger doubled to left-center field to score two more runs.
- The Scots responded in the bottom half of the third with a two-RBI single from Piche.
- The Comets scored one run in each of the next three innings. Alma could only get one of them back; it came on a double by Piche that scored Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) from second base in the seventh.
- Hannah Fleming went 2-for-3 with a double in her first collegiate appearance.
- Hadyn Terwilliger went 4-for-4 in game two.
- Alma only managed three extra-base hits on the day out of 17.
- Jazmine Hamm (Byron Center, Mich. / Byron Center) struck out five batters over five innings of work in game one. Hamm is currently fifth in the conference with 5.96 strikeouts per seven innings.
- Despite taking the loss in game two, Amanda Efaw struck out a career-best four batters over 4.1 innings.
Alma returns home to face Adrian College on Saturday (April 6). First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.