Alma, Mich. - Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) and Hadyn Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) drove in all six runs for the Alma College softball team in game two as it avenged a 9-6 game one loss to Adrian on Saturday (April 6). The Scots won game two 6-4 in 10 innings, their first extra-inning game this year.
Both sisters hit home runs in game two; Hadyn launched a three-run shot in the third inning to give Alma (12-12, 2-6 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) a 3-0 lead. After the Bulldogs (14-10, 2-4 MIAA) tied the game in the fifth and forced extra innings, Hadyn singled home Teah Lint (Saint Joseph, Mich. / Lakeshore) to give Alma the lead again, then Riley followed with a two-run blast for insurance.
In game one, the Scots suffered a rough second inning as Adrian scored nine runs on six hits and two Alma errors. It got three runs back in both the fourth and sixth innings, but couldn't muster any more.
Despite not starting either game, Haley Ullrich (Elk River, Minn. / Elk River) was Alma's best pitcher. She tossed 11.0 innings over both games – nearly seven more than the Scots' next pitcher – and allowed no earned runs (one unearned) on four hits, 10 strikeouts and two walks.
Morgan Trout (Otisville, Mich. / Lakeville) finished the day with the most hits for Alma. She went 4-for-8 with two RBI and a run scored. Hannah Fleming (Rogers City, Mich. / Rogers City) had two doubles in three at-bats and Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) went 3-for-7 with two RBI.
How It Happened
Game One - Adrian 9, at Alma 6
- The game got away from the Scots early. Adrian scored nine runs in the inning as Alma went through three pitchers. Ullrich entered the game with two outs in the inning and got Destiny Rogers to fly out to stop the bleeding. Ullrich would allow just two hits the rest over the rest of the game.
- Alma's bats woke up in the fourth after having just three players reach base in the first three innings. The Scots loaded the bases with two outs and Martin singled home two runners to get on the board. Trout followed with a single to plate another run.
- Alma cut further into the lead in the sixth inning when Trout knocked in another run and Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) brought both her and Hannah Cambe (Demotte, Ind. / Kankakee Valley) home to cut the deficit to three.
- The Scots' heart of the lineup went down 1-2-3 in the seventh to end the game.
Game Two - Alma 6, at Adrian 4 (10 innings)
- After Hadyn Terwilliger's three-run home run in the third, Adrian came back with two runs in the fourth and one more in the fifth to tie it. There could have potentially been more damage but Madyson Piche (Sault Sainte Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) threw out Alaina Macksoud trying to stretch a single into a double.
- In innings six through nine, both teams combined for two hits and three errors. They didn't wake up until the tenth when Hadyn Terwilliger brought Lint home with a single. Riley Terwilliger followed with her first career home run to put the game out of reach.
- In her last eight games, Hadyn Terwilliger is hitting .517 with three home runs and an .862 slugging percentage.
- Alma had no extra-base hits in the first game. Adrian had none in the second.
The Scots have a quick turnaround for their next game. They will host Thomas More College (KY) in a non-conference doubleheader on Sunday (April 7) starting at 1 p.m.