Saginaw, Mich. - The Alma College swimming and diving team opened their 2018-19 season on Friday (Oct. 12) with a meet against Division II Saginaw Valley State University. The Cardinals won both the men's and women's contests, for a combined score of 361-61 over the Scots.
How It Happened
- Freshman Abigail Larimer (Sturgis, Mich. / Sturgis) took third place in the women's 200 freestyle with her time of 2:13.95.
- Freshman Will Brown (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) had a third-place finish in the men's 200 breaststroke race, hitting the wall at 2:26.58. That is the 22st fastest time in Division III so far this year.
- Coming in at a time of 26.86, freshman Jennifer Ostrowski (Northville, Mich. / Northville) placed fourth in the women's 50 freestyle event.
- Senior Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich. / Stevenson) took fourth in the men's 500 freestyle, finishing the race in 5:08.94,the 30th best time in DIII thus far.
- Freshman Sarah Gaines (Colorado Springs, Colo. / Liberty) placed fourth in a pair of events this evening, finishing the women's 200 individual medley in 2:24.14 and the 100 freestyle race in 59.46.
- The relay team of senior Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett), junior Sydney Louis-Ferdinand (Southfield, Mich. / Birmingham Groves), Gaines, and Larimer had a third-place finish in the 400 medley race (4:03.70).
What He Said
"It was a solid first meet. I was excited to see how well we gelled together with so many freshmen. We have a great squad. Eric Ferrara had a fantastic meet. He's primed to have a nice senior year."
- Head Coach Jason Lintjer
The Scots host Hiram College on Saturday (Oct. 13) for a 1 p.m. meet in McClure Natatorium.