Written by Emily Jodway, Sports Information Student Assistant
Kenosha, Wis.- The Alma College swim and dive team wrapped up competition at the A3 Carthage Classic on Saturday (Dec. 1) night, taking part in preliminary races in the morning and the finals this evening.
Many Scots qualified to compete in tonight's finals events, eight of whom finished among the top ten of all swimmers in their races. At the end of the weekend, the Alma women's team took seventh place of ten teams (1,113 pts) and the men eighth (779 pts). Both of Carthage College's teams won the meet with a combined total of 6,008.5 points.
- Freshman Sarah Gaines (Colorado Springs, Colo. / Liberty) had the best finish for the Scots today when she took fifth place in the 100-meter individual medley finals. She swam the race in 1:04.99, improving from her preliminary time of 1:05.09.
- Senior Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich. / Stevenson) swam in the 200-meter freestyle finals and took sixth place, finishing the race in 1:48.12 and improving his previous personal record for that event in the process.
- In the women's 100 breaststroke finals race, freshman Jennifer Ostrowski (Northville, Mich. / Northville) finished in sixth place with a time of 1:10.39. Sophomore Haven Westra (Jenison, Mich. / Jenison) took 13th place in the same race, and Allie Dilts (Belleville, Mich. / Belleville) landed in 16th.
- Freshman Leevi Olson took seventh place and improved upon his preliminary time in the finals of the men's 100 individual medley (57.64).
- In the women's 100 backstroke race, sophomore Allison Brown (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) had a ninth-place finish with her time of 1:02.56. Lucas Sereno swam in the men's backstroke and took eighth place (59.55).
- Senior Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett) came close to breaking her career record in the 200 butterfly when she swam the A finals race in 2:21.12 and took ninth place overall.
- Stephanie Davis participated in the women's three-meter diving finals and finished in 9th place (246.0).
What He Said
"I was happy with how our team performed at the half-way point in our season. We had a fantastic team effort overall."
- Head Coach Jason Lintjer
The Scots will travel to Deerfield Beach, Florida over winter break for a dual meet against Clarkson University. The meet is scheduled for a 6 p.m. start on December 20.