University Center, Mich. - The Alma College track and field team traveled to Saginaw Valley State University on Friday (December 7) to begin their 2018-19 indoor season at the SVSU Holiday Classic. The men were led by senior Justin Jones (Rockford, Mich. / Cedar Springs), who set a new personal record in his distance race, while the women had several good finishes in the afternoon's field events.
- Jones took fifth place in the men's 3,000-meter run, finishing the race in 9:09.57 and shaving five seconds off his previous fastest time.
- In the men's long jump event, junior Payton Hirschenberger (Freeland, Mich. / Saginaw Nouvel) leapt for 6.15 meters and landed in sixth place.
- Senior Jared Fleming (Williamston, Mich. / Williamston) took 11th place in the 400-meter dash (52.23).
- Senior Erin Goggins (Hastings, Mich. / Hastings) took eighth place in the women's pole vault event, reaching a height of 3.04 meters.
- Grace Hearth (Freeland, Mich. / Valley Lutheran) finished in a tie for tenth place in the high jump, landing just .02 meters shy of her personal-best.
They Said It
"We coaches were pleased with what we saw at the meet. We had some good performances all around for this early in the season. Now we have a point to build from for the season. The key for us is to make sure we continue to get our work done over the upcoming break." - Head Coach Matt Chovanec
The Scots remain idle until the new year. On January 11, they travel to Mount Pleasant for the annual Jack Skoog Open, hosted by Central Michigan University.