Alma, Mich. – The Alma College women's basketball team scored 50 points in the first half and were able to hold off a stingy Calvin College team in the end to win, 84-73, Saturday (Jan. 5). Freshman guard Stasha Warchock (Marquette, Mich. / Marquette) had impressive performance with a career-high 24 points on six three pointers made. The freshman also grabbed six rebounds and dished out six assists. Alma is back over .500 on the year with an 8-7 overall record and a 3-3 record in conference. Calvin drops to 8-6 and 3-2 in the MIAA.
- The Scots looked like a well-oiled machine scoring on their first four possessions to take an early 10-2 lead. Later in the first, Alma went on a 12-0 run to push the lead all the way to 17 before the end of the quarter.
- Alma kept the great offensive play going in the second with some solid shooting from the outside. The Scots hit their largest lead on the day when junior guard Madison Hill (Midland, Mich. / Midland) hit a triple to make 46-23. Senior forward Madeline Barnauskas (Livonia, Mich. / Dearborn Divine Child) scored the final points of the half on jumper that put the Scots at the half century mark heading into the locker room.
- The Knights started to chip away at the lead in third after the Scots went scoreless for more than four minutes during the quarter. Sophomore forward Charley Hengesbach (Saginaw, Mich. / Nouvel Catholic Central) ended the drought when she hit a layup that pushed the lead back up to double digits. Warchock nailed one from beyond the arc to increase the lead to 17 with just under 20 seconds left in the period.
- Both teams were matching shot for shot as the margin floated around 10 for the early parts of the fourth. Barnauskas hit a clutch three along the wing with under three to go to make it 77-64. Calvin made it an eight-point game again with just over a minute to go but sophomore forward Emily Eldridge (Battle Creek, Mich. / Battle Creek Lakeview) knocked down two shots on back-to-back possession to keep them at bay. The Scots made some key stops in the final moments to seal the victory.
- Four Scots finished in double figures including Warchock, Eldridge (15), Barnauskas (13) and freshman guard Oretha Humphries (Detroit, Mich. / Detroit Edison Public) with 11.
- Eldridge had a game-high eight rebounds. Alma outrebounded Calvin, 47-31.
- The Scots shot over 50 percent from the floor for the first time this season.
- Alma scored the most points since they hit 84 on December 19, 2017 at Defiance College.
- This was the program's first win over Calvin College since 2009 and its first home win against the Knights since 2003.
What He Said
"Great team win tonight. Everyone came in focused and confident in our game plan tonight and it showed in our ability to score tonight. We were physical on the defensive end and rebounded as a team. So proud of how we played tonight!" – Head Coach Ryan Clark.
The Scots now prepare for nationally-ranked No. 5 Hope College as the Scots head to Grand Rapids for a 7:30 p.m. tip off on Wednesday (Jan. 9). Alma's next home game comes next Saturday (Jan. 12) as they go head-to-head with Albion College.