Alma, Mich. - The Alma College women's lacrosse team defeated Concordia University of Chicago 8-2 to end its non-conference schedule. Alma is now 3-2 on the year while the Cougars fall to 2-5.
Shelby Frazer (Holt, Mich. / Holt) scored three goals to lead all players. Brianna Soriano (San Diego, Calif. / Serra) and Olivia Benoit (Grosse Pointe, Mich. / Grosse Pointe North) each had two goals and one assist. Allie Ray (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) made 11 saves on 13 shots.
The Scots scored two goals in the first 2:32 of the game and added two more in a 2:42 span to take a 4-1 lead. They added four more goals in the second half to ensure the win.
How It Happened
- Benoit scored the game's first goal at the 28:18 mark on an assist from Stephanie Mangutz (Mio, Mich. / Mio-AuSable). She won the ensuing draw control that led to a free position attempt from Sam DeBoer (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford), which she converted for her second goal of the year.
- Concordia picked up a goal at the 24:21 mark but Benoit responded with a draw control and her second goal of the game just ten seconds later.
- Benoit assisted on Frazer's goal at 21:39 to give Alma a 4-1 lead before the Cougars scored their second goal with 3:18 left in the first half.
- Soriano scored the first of her two goals at the 1:32 into the second half. She then assisted on Frazer's goal at the 19:03 mark.
- Soriano converted another unassisted goal with just under 10 minutes to play. Frazer scored again with 1:40 remaining to put the game on ice on an assist from Courtney Hartnagle (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek), her first of the season.
- Alma currently has two of the top five goal scorers in the conference in Brianna Soriano (22 goals, tied for third in the MIAA) and Shelby Frazer (18, fifth).
- Soriano is also tied for third in the MIAA in ground balls with 27.
- Sam DeBoer set a new career-high with six ground balls.
- Allie Ray leads the MIAA with a 58.1 save percentage.
Alma travels to Adrian on Wednesday, March 28, to begin the MIAA portion of its season. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director