Alma, Mich. - The Alma College women's lacrosse team dropped a 16-3 contest to Calvin College on Tuesday (April 3) at Bahlke Field in the Scots' first home game since February 24.
Alma (4-4 overall, 1-2 MIAA) received two goals from senior Brianna Soriano (San Diego, Calif./Serra) and one from sophomore Olivia Benoit (Grosse Pointe, Mich./Grosse Pointe North), both of which were scored on free-position shots.
Amanda Davio and Kelly Pepper scored four goals each for the Knights (4-5, 2-0 MIAA), while Genevieve Schneemann netted three goals as Calvin outshot the Scots by a 38-17 margin.
Sophomore Allie Ray (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y./Comsewogue) made 15 saves in the contest.
How It Happened
- Calvin opened the game with a 3-0 lead in the opening 3:31 before Brianna Soriano found the net on a free-position goal, making the score 3-1 with 25:29 to play.
- The Knights regained a three goal advantage on a free-position attempt while Madi Webster was serving a yellow card before Olivia Benoit scored on a free-position shot to make the score 4-2 with 21:30 left.
- Calvin ended the half with four straight goals to take an 8-2 advantage into the break.
- The Knights opened the second half with four straight markers to go up by 10 goals, taking a 12-2 advantage with just under 24 minutes left.
- Soriano snapped Calvin's string of 11 unanswered goals, including seven straight in the second half, with a free-position marker with 13:11 to play.
- Brianna Soriano is third in the MIAA in goals (31).
- Allie Ray is first in the conference in saves (122) and second in save percentage (54.2).
- Ray's amount of saves are the fifth best in a single season in program history.
The Scots will travel to Kalamazoo College on Saturday, April 7, to take part in an Alma-Kalamazoo lacrosse doubleheader. The women's game is set for a 5 p.m. start, while the men's contest is slated to begin at 7 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director