Kalamazoo, Mich. - The Alma College women's lacrosse team fell to Kalamazoo 17-6 on Saturday evening. Alma is now 4-5 overall and 1-3 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association; Kalamazoo is 4-5 and 1-1.
Allie Ray (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) made 17 saves. Olivia Benoit (Grosse Pointe, Mich. / Grosse Pointe North) scored three goals and Stephanie Mangutz (Mio, Mich. / Mio-AuSable) gathered a career-high five draw controls. Brianna Soriano (San Diego, Calif. / Serra) and Sam DeBoer (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) tied for the team lead with four ground balls.
Rachel Madar had nine goals for the Hornets. Madar has 44 goals this season, second in the conference.
How It Happened
- Benoit started the scoring at 27:33 with an unassisted goal. Kalamazoo scored the next six.
- Mangutz scored her sixth goal of the season 4:43 before halftime to cut the lead to four.
- Mangutz scored again four minutes into the second half on a free position shot.
- Shelby Frazer (Holt, Mich. / Holt) and Benoit scored back-to-back in a 1:14 span, Benoit's being with a player up.
- Benoit scored her 16th goal of the season on a free position shot with eight minutes remaining.
- With three goals today, sophomore Olivia Benoit has surpassed her goal total from her freshman year.
- Allie Ray is first in the MIAA in saves (139) and second in save percentage (53.7).
- Brianna Soriano was held scoreless for the first time all season. She is currently fourth in the MIAA in goals (31).
Alma will travel to Albion on Wednesday, April 11 for a 7:00 p.m. game against the Britons.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director