By Harrison LaLone, Sports Information student assistant
Cleveland, Ohio - Sophomore Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich./Brandon) finished his run in the NCAA Division III National Championships on Saturday, March 10, placing sixth place in all of NCAA III wrestling.
By placing sixth, Ladd is the fifth All-American in Alma College wrestling history. On his way to the finish, Ladd won three matches, taking the all-time record for most wins in a season by a Scot (36).
- Ladd opened competition on Friday in the preliminary round, where he defeated Delaware Valley's Ambacher in a 6-5 decision after a takedown with just seconds remaining.
- He then went on to defeat the third and sixth seeds: an 11-3 major decision over Johnsons & Wales' (RI) Ferinde and a 15-8 decision over Elmhurst's (IL) Mcauliffe.
- The best-of-the-best made it to Saturday, earning All-American status. Ladd lost by pinfall to finalist Ben Brisman of Ithaca (NY), then fell in a rematch with Millikin's (IL) Chris Williams in a 4-2 sudden victory.
- Ladd ended the day with a chance at fifth place, but dropped his final match of the season to the two-seed in the 141-pound bracket., giving him sixth.
- Ladd ended the season as an All-American with a record of 36-8, the winningest season in Alma College wrestling history.
- Ladd went 3-3 overall in the national tournament. His three losses came to a national-finalist, the third-place, and fifth-place wrestlers.
- After entering via preliminary match, Ladd defeated both the third and sixth-seeded wrestlers, but fell to the second seed in the fifth-place match. Ladd faced four of the eight seeded wrestlers at 141 pounds.
- Two of Ladd's three matches on Saturday came against upperclassmen, including the rematch with Williams. Ladd and Williams met in the Gator Boots Duals on Dec. 12, where Williams took a strongly-contested decsion.
This concludes the 2017-18 season for the Alma College wrestling team.
141 - Brendan Ladd - Sixth Place
Prelim - Brendan Ladd (Alma) won by decision over Tim Ambacher (Delaware Valley) (Dec 6-5)
Champ. Round 1 - Brendan Ladd (Alma) won by major decision over Joseph Ferinde (Johnson & Wales (RI)) (MD 11-3)
Quarterfinal - Brendan Ladd (Alma) won by decision over Jimmy Mcauliffe (Elmhurst) (Dec 15-8)
Semifinal - Ben Brisman (Ithaca) won by fall over Brendan Ladd (Alma) (Fall 2:32)
Cons. Semi - Chris Williams (Millikin) won in sudden victory over Brendan Ladd (Alma) (SV-1 4-2)
5th Place Match - Josh Martin (Cornell) won by fall over Brendan Ladd (Alma) (Fall 1:31)