Angola, Ind. – The Alma College wrestling team finished fourth place out of 14 teams at the Trine Invitational Saturday (Nov. 10). Junior Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) won the 149 lb weight class, earning 22.5 of Alma's 87 points.
- Cooper went 4-0 on the day. He won by an 8-3 decision in the first-place match.
- Sophomore Chase Beecher (Clio, Mich. / Clio) was undefeated all the way to the semifinals in the 133 lb weight class. Beecher had a pin to fight his way into the third-place match where he won by a 5-3 decision.
- After losing in a tie breaker in his first match of the day, junior Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) won five straight bouts to take home fifth place in the 141 lb weight class.
- Sophomore Austin Fox (Fort Worth, Texas / Timber Creek) won three times in his fourth place run in the 197 lb weight class. Sophomore Austin Popp (Clinton, Mich. / Clinton) also competed in the 197 and went 2-2 to take eighth.
- Sophomore Jacob Smith (New Bern, N.C. / New Bern) and freshmen Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) and Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) all had multiple victories.
- Sophomores Erik Arnegard (Wateford, Mich. / Waterford Mott) and Joe Vondrasek (Owosso, Mich. / Owosso) as well as freshmen Corbin Hallberg (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon), Kenny Smith (Gaylord, Mich. / Gaylord) and Leo West (Takoma Park, Md. / Montgomery Blair) all had a match win in their respective weight classes.
- Alma improved six places from last year's Trine Invitational
What He Said
"One thing I'm really impressed with is that our guys are in shape. They are strong enough for their weight class and they pour it on in the third period." -Assistant Coach Fletcher Roberts
The Scots will head to Olivet College for the Olivet Duals on Saturday (Nov. 17).