Olivet, Mich. – The Alma College wrestling team went 1-2 at the Olivet College Comet Duals Saturday (Nov. 17). The Scots defeated the University of the Ozarks (AK), 24-23, while falling to Cornell College (Iowa), 24-20, and No. 14 Millikin (IL), 25-13. Junior Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) won in all three duals for Alma.
- The Scots started the day off against Cornell College. Sophomore Chase Beecher (Clio, Mich. / Clio) got Alma on the board with a major decision win. Ladd followed it up with a pin to give the Scots an early advantage.
- Freshman Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) had a major 10-0 decision in the 157 lb weight class. Sophomore Joe Vondrasek (Owosso, Mich. / Owosso) picked up a close victory in the 174 class.
- After the Scots lost by pin fall in back-to-back bouts, freshman Jacob Ransom (Traverse City, Mich. / Traverse City West) finished off the dual with a win in the heavyweight class but it was not enough to overcome Cornell's lead.
- In the second match of the day, Alma went with same lineup besides one substitution with sophomore Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood) fighting in the 133 class. In his season debut, Wieczorek earned a 4-3 decision win to give the Scots their first points of the match.
- Ladd, Kuehnlein and sophomore Austin Popp (Clinton, Mich. / Clinton) all won by pin fall to pick up big points against the University of the Ozarks. Freshman Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) also won by decision.
- The Scots held a 24-20 lead heading into the final bout and Ransom was able to fight off multiple pin attempts to seal the dual victory.
- Senior Victor Sosa (Wilmington, N.C. / Eugene Ashley) earned his first victory of theday in a major way as he won by a major decision to kick things off against national-ranked Millikin.
- Ladd finishes off his perfect day with a 10-3 decision to increase Alma's lead, 7-3. The Scots were able to cut into the Millikn lead with wins by Seaton and sophomore Erik Arnegard (Waterford, Mich. / Waterford Mott) but ultimately came up on the losing side.
- Kuehnlein had a 2-1 day with his only loss coming to the eighth-ranked wrestler in the nation in his class. Seaton also joined Kuehnlein and Ladd as Scots who earned multiple victories.
- Popp went 1-2 at the duals, his loss to Millikin came against the third-ranked wrestler in his class.
- Sophomore Mason Priest (Grandville, Mich. / Grandville) made his season debut filling in for No. 9 ranked junior Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) in all three matches on the day.
The Scots have the next two weeks off. They will return to action at the Ohio Northern Invitational on Saturday (Dec. 1) at 9 a.m.