Written by Mason Ippel, Sports Information Student Assistant
Adrian, Mich. – The Alma College wrestling team went 2-2 at the Adrian College Duals Saturday (Nov. 16). The Scots defeated Penn State Behrend, 55-0, and Milwaukee School of Engineering, 48-3, while falling to Central College, 21-20, and University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, 24-19. Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) and Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) both went 4-0 on the day.
- The Scots started the day against Central College winning four of their first five matches. Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood) won by decision, 5-0, Ladd won by injury, Cooper dominated in a 18-0 technical fall, and Matt Tomsett (Madison Heights, Mich. / Lamphere) won by decision 16-10.
- Austin Fox (Fort Worth, Texas / Timber Creek) won his match, 7-6, to give Alma a two point lead going into the heavyweight match but Duncan Lee from Central won by decision, 4-0.
- In the second dual against University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, four Scots won their matches. Zachariah Kelley (Freeport, Mich. / Thornapple Kellogg) won by forfeit, Ladd had a 15-5 major decision, Cooper pinned his opponent 55 in seconds, and Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) won by decision, 3-1.
- Alma completely dominated and did not lose a single match against Penn State Behrend. Wieczorek, Kelley, and Ladd all won by forfeit. Tomsett had a 15-9 win by decision. Cooper and Seaton both won by technical fall. Lucas Brewer (Belleville, Mich. / Huron), Jacob Ransom (Traverse City, Mich. / Traverse City West), Kuehnlein, and Fox all won by pinfall.
- The Scots finished the day strong against Milwaukee School of Engineering. Wieczorek, Kelley, Fox, and Ransom all won due to forfeit. Kuehnlein and Seaton both won by decision. Ladd, Cooper, and Tomsett all pinned their opponents in the first period.
- Cooper was on the mat for less than a combined seven minutes throughout his four matches.
- Tomsett had the fastest technical fall of the day with a time of 1:49.
- Ladd and Cooper both scored 22 team points on the day.
The Alma College wrestling team will travel to Olivet College on Saturday (Nov. 23) for the Olivet College Duals.