By Mason Ippel, Sports Information Student Assistant
Olivet, Mich. – The Alma College wrestling team went 1-2 at the Olivet College Comet Wrestling Duals on Saturday (Nov. 23). The Scots defeated Heidelberg University 24-19 while falling to Millikin University 34-5 and Ohio Northern 22-16. Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) went 3-0 on the day, winning by major decision, technical fall and pinfall.
- The Scots faced Millikin University to start the day. Ladd had the only win for Alma. He defeated his opponent in a dominant win by technical fall 16-1.
- Alma bounced back against Heidelberg in their second dual of the day. Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood), Noah Lopez (Hartland, Mich. / Hartland), and Jacob Ransom (Traverse City, Mich. / Traverse City West) all won by major decision. Ladd and Austin Fox (Fort Worth, Texas / Timber Creek) both won by pinfall. Fox pinned his opponent in 31 seconds to give the Scots the lead 20-19 before Ransom sealed it.
- The Scots finished the day against Ohio Northern. Wieczorek won by decision, Ladd by major decision, Trent Lashuay (Saint Johns, Mich. / Saint Johns) by technical fall, and Ransom by decision.
- Ransom was in a tight battle against Ohio Northern. He had two takedowns in the third period. With the match being tied, he had a takedown and a one-point penalty in the last five seconds to secure the win 5-2.
- Fox had the second fastest pin fall out of all teams.
The Alma College wrestling team will travel to Ohio Northern on Saturday (Dec. 7) at 9:00 a.m. for the Ohio Northern Invitational.