Cincinnati, Ohio – The Alma College wrestling team fell to Penn College 32-16 and Mount St. Joseph 38-14 at the Mount St. Joseph Tri-Meet. Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) and Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) won both of their matches.
Alma vs Mount St. Joseph
- Cooper got the first win for the Scots when he dominated his opponent to a 18-0 win by technical fall.
- Two matches later, Kuehnlein would give his team three more points when he defeated his opponent by decision 9-6.
- To finish up the dual against the Lions, Jacob Ransom (Traverse City, Mich. / Traverse City West) won by pin fall 2:05 into the first round.
Alma vs Penn College
- The Scots started off strong against the wildcats winning four out of the first six matches.
- Zach Kelley (Freeport, Mich. / Thornapple Kellogg) would start the dual off with a 4-0 win by decision.
- After losing two matches in a row, Alma responded by winning three matches in a row starting with Cooper who won by decision 11-4. Matt Tomsett (Madison Heights, Mich. / Lamphere) followed up with a win by pin fall 1:26 into the second round. Kuehnlein would keep the momentum going as he defeated his opponent by major decision 14-0.
The Alma College wrestling team will return to action in the new year (Jan. 4). They travel to Cleveland, Ohio for the Case Western Reserve Duals where they will face the University of Chicago, Case Western Reserve University, and University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.