Written by Mason Ippel, Sports Information Student Assistant
Alma, Mich. - The Alma College wrestling team hosted Trine University on Tuesday (Jan. 7) evening for its first conference meet of the year. The Scots blew out the Thunder 42-9 to move to 1-0 in MIAA play. Alma won the first eight matches of the night including five wins by pinfall.
- Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood), Trent Lashuay (Saint Johns, Mich. / Saint Johns), and Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) started the meet out with three wins by pinfall to give Alma an 18-0 lead. They pinned their opponents in 1:02, 2:01, and 1:21, respectively.
- Joseph Muzzin (Riverview, Mich. / Woodhaven) followed up the triple pin with a win by technical fall 19-3 in the third period. Muzzin had five takedowns, two nearfalls, and a reversal.
- Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) would continue the win streak with a win by major decision 10-2. Cooper was winning 9-2 after three periods but received a point for riding time.
- Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) and Lucas Brewer (Belleville, Mich. / Huron) extended the Scots lead to 39-0 after they both pinned their opponents in the first period.
- Gus Richter (Durand, Mich. / Durand) won the 184 weight class by decision 10-3 to extend the lead to 42-0.
The Scots head down to Louisville for the National Duals on Friday (Jan. 10) and Saturday (Jan. 11). They will return to Art Smith Arena next Saturday (Jan. 18) for the Alma Open.