Alma, Mich. - The Alma College wrestling team went 1-2 at the national duals this weekend. After falling to No. 14 New York University, 45-10, and No. 13 Ithaca College, 35-6, they bounced back to defeat Washington & Jefferson University, 25-21. Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) went 3-0 and Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) went 2-1 on the weekend.
- The Scots started the duals against New York University. Ladd won by pin fall in 2:07 while Kuehnlein had a victory by major decision 10-1.
- Next, they faced Ithaca College. Ladd grinded out a win by decision, 10-6, against the No. 10 wrestler in the 141 weight class, Ben Brisman. Clayton Todd also won his match by decision, 12-10.
- Alma faced Washington & Jefferson University in their final dual. Five Scots won their respective matches. Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood) started off the dual with a win by decision 5-3. Noah Lopez (Hartland, Mich. / Hartland) and Ladd would follow up with two dominating wins by technical fall 19-0 and 17-0, respectively. Kuehnlein extended the lead to 19-9 after he pinned his opponent in 3:40. It came down to the final match. Alma down 21-19 when Jacob Ransom (Traverse City, Mich. / Traverse City West) secured the win for the Scots with a win by pin fall in 4:22.
- Lopez had the 11th fastest technical fall of the duals.
- Lopez also finished tied for 10th in most single match points. Ladd finished tied for 22nd.
The Scots will travel to Adrian College Thursday (Jan. 16) to face the Bulldogs in a conference dual.