Olivet, Mich. - The Alma College wrestling team came up short 24-13 against Olivet on Thursday (Jan. 23) evening.
Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) had a terrific match against Drew Mandell that went the distance; Cooper came out on top 22-17. Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) also earned a win, 6-2, with a riding time of over six minutes.
How It Happened
- Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood) lost to Cameron Mahich in overtime after he was taken down just as time expired.
- Chase Beecher (Clio, Mich. / Clio) fell 16-1 to Reese Wallis by tech fall.
- Ladd beat Andrew Castaneda 6-2. Two quick reversals toward the end of period two maintained a two-point lead for Ladd. He gained a point for stalling towards the end of the match.
- Cooper defeated Drew Mandell 22-17. Cooper started in control but fell victim to a quick reversal and a near fall that swung the match Mandell's way. He scored a reversal in the last 15 seconds of the first period. Cooper picked up four more points by near fall early in the second period and a second one as time expired to give him a 17-12 after two rounds. Mandell got Cooper down for two points but couldn't score anymore. Cooper's win cut the overall score to 8-6, Olivet
- Matt Tomsett (Madison Heights, Mich. / Lamphere) fell to Cole Hersch 10-2.
- Alma trailed 11-6 at the intermission.
- Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) defeated Owen Guilford, 8-6 in overtime. A reversal by Guilford at the end of the match tied the score at six, but Kuehnlein secured the win with a takedown 18 seconds into overtime.
- Lucas Brewer (Belleville, Mich. / Huron) beat Nicholas Worden, 13-1 in a slow-paced match that went scoreless over the first two minutes. Two Brewer takedowns gave him a 4-0 lead after one round. He added another takedown and two near falls to secure a 13-1 win.
- Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) fell to Hadyn Kinjorski 9-5. Seaton went up 3-1 in the third but got called for stalling. a takedown from Kinjorski late in the match gave him the lead. Brewer staged a late surge to get back to within two but he was unable to tie the match. Olivet took a 14-13 lead with this win.
- Gus Richter (Durand, Mich. / Durand) fell to Trevor Piggett, 12-3.
- Alma forfeited the heavyweight match.
Alma will travel to Wheaton College to take part in the Pete Willson Invitational on Friday (Jan. 31) and Saturday (Feb. 1).