Written by Mason Ippel, Sports Information Student Assistant
Alma, Mich. - The Alma College wrestling team competed at the Mid-States Invitational Saturday (Feb. 15). Nine Scots placed and Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) won the 149 weight class.
- Chase Beecher (Clio, Mich. / Clio), Zachariah Kelley (Freeport, Mich. / Thornapple Kellogg), and Nicholas Dawson (Gladstone, Mich. / Gladstone Area) all placed in the 125 weight class. Beecher placed second. After a first round bye, he went on to win two matches by decision to advance to the championship. Kelley also had a first round bye and won his first match of the day by pinfall in 4:00. He wrestled his way to the third place match that he won by decision 8-5. Dawson lost his first match of the day but responded with a win by pinfall in 3:18. He would finish the tournament in fifth place.
- Carter Hankins (Hartland, Mich. / Hartland) and Jonathan Andrejewski (Sterling Heights, Mich. / Sterling Heights Stevenson) placed fifth and eighth, respectively, in the 141 weight class. Hankins started the day win a win by pinfall against Adrian's Kammer in 3:11. After a loss in the quarterfinals, he bounced back with a win by technical fall 16-0. He would advance to the fifth place match where he faced Kammer again. This time he won by major decision 15-5.
Cooper dominated the 149 weight class. The closest match he had was his first of the day where he won by decision 15-8. He won his next two by pinfall in 1:24 and 1:37, respectively. In the Championship match he won by technical fall 16-0.
- Matt Tomsett (Madison Heights, Mich. / Lamphere) placed sixth in the 157 weight class. He won his first match by technical fall 16-1. After a tough loss in his second match, he responded with four straight wins. Two by fall, one by technical fall, and one by medical forfeit. Tomsett had an injury of his own that kept him out of the rest of the tournament.
- Erik Arnegard (Waterford, Mich. / Waterford Mott) took third in the 174 weight class. After a first round bye, he got a win by pinfall in 5:54. After a medical forfeit and a tough loss, he won by pinfall again, this time in 4:04. In the third place match, he had a dominating win by major decision 15-6.
- Clayton Todd wrestled his way to a fifth-place finish in the 184 weight class. He had an impressive win by pinfall in 0:47. In the fifth place match he defeated his opponent in 1:57.
The Scots will travel to Adrian College Friday and Saturday (Feb. 28 and 29) for the NCAA Division III Central Regional.