Rock Island, Ill. - The Alma College volleyball team dominated Augustana 3-0 (25-19, 25-15, 25-18) on Friday (Sept. 14). The win makes Alma 8-1 overall and is Alma's fifth sweep this season.
Freshman outside Sara Majerle (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) led all players with 11 kills on a .500 hit percentage, 12 digs and two aces. Sophomore setter Haley Novak ( Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) had a game-high 28 assists.
How it Happened
- Alma started the game slow, falling behind 6-1 before calling a timeout. It fought back to eventually tie the game at 12; Marjerle had two of the team's three kills during the run. The Scots finally broke through at 17-16, then extended its lead with a 5-1 run Alma would score the set's final three points and eight of the last 10 overall.
- Alma took an early 6-3 lead and extended it to nine after an 8-1 run. Marjerle started the run with two straight kills, got the serve back after an Alma error, and maintained the serve for five straight points. Up 16-6, Augustana pulled back to within five but couldn't get any closer. The Vikings gave Alma six of its final eight points en route to the 25-15 win.
- The Scots again started hot with a 7-2 lead. Twice the Vikings came back to tie the set at 12 and 14, but Alma exploded with a 10-0 run. Augustana would stop the bleeding with three straight points, but Katie Bush's (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) fifth kill ended the game.
- The Scots had an overall hit percentage of .273 and scored 43 points. Augustana hit .286, -.111 and .000.
- Alma's best set statistically was the first. It had 14 kills and 3 errors (.367 hit percentage).
- Freshman middle blocker Haley Ullrich (Elk River, Minn. / Elk River) posted six kills and a .333 hit percentage, her highest hit percentage in her last three games.
- Junior outside Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott County) had 10 digs and five kills (.235 hit percentage).
- In non-conference play, Alma is scoring 16.7 points per set, third in the conference.
- Alma has 2.7 aces per set this season, the most of any MIAA team.
The Scots resume play at Rock Island on Saturday (Sept. 15). It will take on Webster University (Ill.) at 12 p.m. and Loras College (Iowa) at 2 p.m.